1903 Excelsior and Wicker Sidecar
Bayliss, Thomas & Co built the Excelsior motorcycle in Coventry from 1896 and can truly claim to be pioneers in this field.
This highly original combination was identified as a 1903 model by the Sunbeam Motorcycle Club Dating Committee in 2006.
The bike was first registered in Scotland in 1904 and supplied new to the local doctor in Crieff. The doctor later traded it back to the original cycle shop where it remained for another 60 years until 1961 when it was purchased for the sum of £3.10p. Some weeks later, the new owner discovered that he was missing part of the bike – a wicker sidecar – which had been stored elsewhere!
The Excelsior Motor Company Ltd of Tyseley undertook restoration of this machine in 1962 for just another £3.10p (copy of invoices are available).
Since restoration, the combo has been used for numerous events, including tackling the gentle Perthshire Foothills vigorously with 2 aboard and the 2009 Pioneer Run.
It is to original specification in all major aspects and runs well. Prior to purchase it had a top-end overhaul along with brakes and ignition. It had UK and MOT registration until March 2010 and still has old and new style registration documents.