1905 Minerva 3½ hp
This motorcycle is one of the first pioneer bikes to arrive in New Zealand. Its’ history has been preserved in well-kept records.
Minerva was one of the great names in the early days of motorcycling, their advanced designs were using OHV by 1903 and as a result of the superb engineering quality they became the supplier of choice to Triumph, Ariel, Matchless and Royal Enfield. By the end of 1902 Minerva was supplying engines to more than 75 cycle factories in Europe and employed a work force of 1,000 people.
The original owner of this machine was Thomas Hancock who was born in the winter of 1879 at the site of the goldfields at Munros Gully near Lawrence. Hancock successfully mined Munros Gully and the Blue Spur mine, subsequently acquired modest wealth and was the first local to own a motorcycle in the goldfields of Lawrence. He put the Minerva to task and was reputed to be the first to take a bike to the top of Jacob’s Ladder onto the spur.
The bike remained in the Hancock family for three generations and was purchased in October 2011.
Special Features: 500cc, single cylinder engine, Bosch high-tension magneto, Chatea Lea fork-links built in London, beaded edge tires.